I stayed home today because I'm sick with a cold and my car is in the shop. Fortunately our church has a live stream for the service so I could watch from home and take notes. I thought this was a really great and focused sermon and for the record these are the things my family is praying about for 2010:
1. We took a 5 year arm mortgage in 2005 which means we haven't payed on the principle in the past 4 years because we thought we could resell in this time. This is the year our mortgage resets and we don't know what's going to happen in October. We don't know if we can continue to afford our mortgage when it resets.
2. With one 18mo daughter and another baby on the way we long to be closer to family. We are seeking God's will in our lives as currently we are in Florida while husband family is in Texas and mine is in Maryland.
3. We are praying for renewed discipline in our budget. The past 3 months we've gone over budget in our food and eating out; it's so easy to justify food and snacks when pregnant! But we need to be strict in this area so we can reach our Savings goals.
Pastor Bob Coy
New Years Revolution
(Phil 3:13-Key Verse), Amos 3, Phil 3, I Corinthians 12
So, what's wrong? What's the problem? There has to be something that frustrates you? What's your burden. Is it your job, your boss, your financial picture? Your health?
Once you identify your problem, it's solvable. In most cases it's just a case of a New Years Revolution.
You need to change your heart to keep Resolutions:
(comprehension increases 50% when you take notes)
1. See that your problem is a problem.
- I'm not paying the principle on my mortgage
- I don't have 3 months of savings in my bank account
2. compare your problem to God's purpose.
Phil 3:13-14 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
3. You need to submit your problem to God's power.
I Corinthians 12:12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
Connect with the body of Christ through small group ministries. Don't fall through the cracks when you have a need in your life.
Your circumstances may not change, but your if your attitude changes it makes all the difference.
4. Recognize some problems require time to process
1And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;
2Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man:
3And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary.
4And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man;
5Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.
6And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith.
7And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?
8I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?
Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
24And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
5. Today if you hear his voice do something today
7Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,
8Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
9When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
10Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
11So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)
12Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
Tomorrow should reflect the changes of today, get serious about your life, it's a gift, don't squander it.