One thing we'd like to look into is a pull along camper that sleeps six. We've been talking about it for several years and we finally have a vehicle that can pull one. We're getting tired of expensive hotels and still not having enough room to sleep six and with growing kids we are having a harder time finding rooms big enough; many hotels will advertise a suite but it's still too small for three beds. I told husband whatever is not invested is free to use for a camper so he's on the hunt. Let's see if he can manage to find something before our trip to Texas!
We think it will save us in the following areas:
- Food - eating out is expensive and I can only pack so much in a cooler, which is cumbersome to drag into a hotel and ice down every morning which gets many foods soggy. We are up to $60 at Cracker Barrel and $35 at most fast food places. With three days on the road, we can easily spend several hundred dollars on food before we reach Texas.
- Hotel rooms are costing us over $100 per night, many campsites are half this price or less.
- More gas in pulling a camper
- It will probably take an extra day to reach Texas because we can't go as fast
- We will probably need to fix up a used camper, hopefully not too much
- There are always unseen costs with a new to us purchase
In addition I'm looking for more than savings. I find it very stressful to take 4 kids into a hotel room after a full day of driving and expect them to stay quiet. Hopefully they can let loose a little more with a camper, at least we're not sharing walls with another family. We are also tired of taking a huge pile of stuff into a hotel, unloading, reloading the next day and doing it three days in a row.
Not sure what stress may come with a camper but right now it sounds like a good transition for us.