The first step is bake the potatoes and then puree the baked potato. I went to this very indepth helpful website for instruction as apparently these are not as simple as regular orange sweet potatoes to bake. I like how this site offered many details about the nutritional value. If that is too much information to take in, then simply bake them for 1.5 hours at 350. They do take longer than regular sweet potatoes. Once baking is finished and they have cooled, remove peels and puree in a food processor.
Purple Sweet Potato Muffins
- 7 oz Purple Sweet Potato puree (if you do not have a scale 1 cup will work), if you don't have time to puree in a food processer then smash with a fork
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice (see below)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup oil (if you do not want to add oil then double the milk, I've done it both ways and it works out fine)
Apple Pie Spice - this is more than what this recipe will need, save for later, this is a good blend of spices that works with multiple recipes.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Allspice
Place all dry ingredients in large mixer along with the purple sweet potato and mix for 1-2 minutes until well blended. Place wet ingredients in smaller bowl and once combined, add to the dry ingredients. Mix until completely blended and beautifully purple.
Prepare muffin pans. I use an ice cream scoop to measure regular muffins and a cookie scoop for mini muffins.
Bake 20 minutes for regular size and 12-13 minutes for mini size.
This recipe made 4 regular muffins and 20 mini muffins, or 9-10 regular muffins.
The muffin is not sweet, it's spongy and you can taste the mild flavor really well because there are no spices added. I think it would be a nice addition to dinner since it's not sweet.
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 4 oz butter non salted room temperature
- 4 oz purple sweet potato puree (if not pureed then it will have small chunks)
- 8 oz powered sugar
Blend until smooth.
We could not taste the flavor of the purple sweet potato in the icing. The color is so pretty that I plan to freeze 4oz cubes and use later for parties and special events.