Saturday, May 18, 2019

Downtown House - Remodel Post 2

Our front door is a mess.  The only logical solution would be to replace the door and framework to match the rest of the house, but we've already used up our house improvement budget for this month, and the backyard fence is more urgent due to holes and that it's a big summer job, so I decided to patch and paint.  Some holes can be filled with wood putty, small nail holes with spackle - I'm so confused at the number of nail holes in this door.  There have been several different locks installed over the years, each with a different hole made.  There is some serious wood damage in some areas but the overall door is solid and secure, so here goes my attempt to make it better for the interim.  


This small wedge was placed here when the wall next to it was fixed.  I used putty to smooth the two pieces of wood together.


For this hole, I couldn't think of a way to fit putty into it as there was no base, so I elected to just paint over it.


The large hole at the top of this photo was filled with putty, each nail hole filled with spackle and additional hardware removed.

Extra nail removed, nail holes filled and extra hardware removed.


This is where you can see prior lock systems and severely damaged wood, I can't fill all of this in, but I'll do my best to make it look better.


Extra hardware.

 

This is the entire door which taken in normal lighting doesn't show all the damage seen in close up photos.


Here is the door after I've painted the trim with three coats of white and filled the hole at the top window, painted the door one coat and added a curtain.  


There is a 1" hole where I removed some old hardware, we plan to fill it with a cut dial rod.  The hole below the handle is filled with putty and will take a week to dry then I can paint it.  The door needs about 2 more coats of paint and I plan to remove it from the hinges and paint it really well.  I hope when I'm done it looks nice enough to not see the damaged parts easily.

No comments: