Let’s talk about toys! What toys are you excited to purchase for your little ones for Christmas?
Are you excited about Thanksgiving? What plans do you have?Thanksgiving
Five years ago (pre kids), my husband and I went to Texas for Thanksgiving and made dinner for the entire family! I think it was our last with family because we've been stuck in Florida ever since due to his job not allowing off time for Oct - Dec. This has not tempered my enthusiasm for preparing an entire Thanksgiving meal for 2 adults - well not too much.
Last year I hit my limit with turkey. I've struggled to find the smallest bird and wrestle it through all the pre-day preparations - brine soaks, etc. I've spent the entire morning of Thanksgiving tending the bird every 30 minutes and timing all other meals around this one object taking up my entire small oven. I've grown downright resentful of the turkey! The mess to clean up after dinner, family not wanting the leftovers after three days.
Last year, we got so hungry at noon we went to Whole Foods for lunch! We found they have turkey and the entire trimmings in the buffet bar! An idea formed. What if I prepare all my specialty dishes - and just buy prepared turkey from the buffet bar? Sure I'll miss the pretty bird sitting in the center of the table but with two small ones underfoot I'd rather just enjoy the day with as little stress as possible!
My Thanksgiving Menu
- Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Chorizo Egg and cheese burritos
- Cold Fettuccine with red peppers and chicken (can be pre-made)
- Cornbread Sausage Stuffing - my only regret is not being able to stuff it, however, with a crock pot, I might be able to replicate the results. I make the cornbread at least one day before Thanksgiving.
- Cranberry Sauce - from a CAN! That's for husband and only special because he loves it!
- Plain Mashed Potatoes
- Canned Green Beans Organic (from Whole Foods)
- Turkey and Gravy (from Whole Foods)
- Homemade Pumpkin pie with pumpkin puree that I've made from fresh sugar pumpkins - totally worth the effort and the puree can be made weeks in advance.
I'm looking forward to your stories! Link up below and I'll be sure and visit your blog later this week.